Fertility care in Leigh on Sea Essex at Eco Therapies with qualified Fertility Acupuncturist & Functional Medicine Practitioner Elaine Otrofanowei
Over the past 20 years, fertility problems have increased dramatically. At least 25% of couples trying for a baby in the UK may have problems conceiving. This may be due to many factors:
- failure to ovulate
- damage to the fallopian tubes
- male problems
Unexplained accounts for 30%, which means following thorough investigations the doctors may not identify the reason for their infertility.
A diagnosis of infertility does not mean you will always be infertile, especially in the case of unexplained infertility or sometimes called ‘subfertility’.
How can Acupuncture help with fertility?
There are many factors affecting fertility, your health, your emotions and your lifestyle. This is where complementary therapies such as Acupuncture, in combination with herbs, nutritional and lifestyle advice, may help by creating the optimum conditions for conception.
Research has shown that Acupuncture can help by
- Regulating fertility hormones
- Increasing blood flow to the reproductive organs
- Increasing egg and sperm production
- Reducing the effects of stress hormones on reproduction
- Promoting embryo implantation
Information available: www.acupuncture.org.uk
It still takes two to a make a baby, so it is important that both partners make sure that they are achieving the optimum environment for conception to take place.
Even if you feel that you have no fertility issues and planning to conceive, acupuncture and reflexology may ensure that your body is in peak condition for your planned pregnancy. See male infertility
Where should I start?
Sometimes deciding where to start on your journey to parenthood can be daunting, it is essential to make yourself a plan of action and see it through. Below are some steps that I suggest you take.
- If you have been trying to conceive for more than a year without success you should seek medical advice, if you are over 35 years old then seek help after 6 months. Though it is advisable to put some of these steps below into action as soon as you decided to try to conceive.
- Your GP or consultant will arrange for both female and male to be tested. This will give you a good picture of what is happening inside your body. Having these results to discuss during your consultation with me will be very helpful and gives us a head start when using natural fertility therapies. (see fertility testing)
- Seek the help from a complementary therapy practitioner with experience in treating fertility
- Fertility diet, this is one of the most powerful tools to help boost your fertility and prepare your body for pregnancy. Good nutrition provides the building blocks of your hormones, optimizes the health of your eggs and sperm . It is also just as important to know what foods you should reduce or avoid, going Gluten and Dairy free and reducing sugar intake.
- Supplements , preconception supplements should contain these vitamins and minerals Vitamin D,E and C, B6, B12, folic acid. Iron, selenium, zinc. You will also need to add a good antioxidant and essential fatty acids such as omega 3. See my product page.
Other self -help treatments – Castor oil & heat treatment, Hot water foot soak and femoral massage.
Exercise – There are very important reasons why exercise helps to keep us healthy fertile beings. Regular exercise strengthens our muscles, builds stamina, may increase flexibility, increases circulation, keeps stress, depression and anxiety at bay, and promotes regular detoxification of excess hormones and toxins in the body. It is important to exercise for at least 30 minutes, 3-4 times a week. Regular exercise also is beneficial for preparing the body for the hard work of childbirth. Exercise needs to be low-impact, moderate and done on a consistent basis.
Ideas for Exercise:
- Fertility Yoga
- Swimming Laps
Reducing stress – research has shown that excessive stress can have a negative effective on your fertility, by effecting the fertility hormones and reducing blood flow to the pelvic area. So it is important to find ways that help you to reduce your stress levels and the emotional impact of infertility. Fertility yoga, meditation, tai chi, journaling, EFT, acupuncture and reflexology or just going for a walk can be helpful. See this Daily Mail article.
Fertility monitoring – the four primary fertility signs which ovulating women show are changes in:
- Basal body temperature or waking temperature
- Cervical fluid or mucus
- Position of cervix
- LH surge
These signs will help you to time your sexual intercourse at your most fertile time. They are also used by your practitioner to diagnosis any imbalances and monitor improvements during your treatment. ( see signs of fertility and fertility monitoring).
Please note that natural fertility treatment takes time to bear fruit, thinking of it this way when you plant a seed, it is important to prepare and nourish the soil, water and feed it and give it time to grow. It is important to give natural fertility treatment between 3 to 6 months to see positive results. So try to be patient!
Need Help? Contact Me
If you interested in fertility Care in Leigh on Sea, Essex or the London Area and would like an appointment please phone 07949407336 or email me.